The History of Our Church

The Polish Catholics living in St. Catharines begin worshiping in the first years of the last century.  Polish priests sporadically celebrate Masses and Devotions.  They use the Irish Church of St. Catherine in downtown.  The priests’ names and the timing of their visits are not recorded.   In 1914 Fr. Boleslaw Sperski initiates a continuous Polish ministry at St. Mary’s Church located at the crossroads of Niagara, Garnet and Currie streets.   St. Mary’s Church also serves the Italian Community. The year 1914 is recorded as the beginning of Polish pastorship in St. Catharines.  Fr. B. Sperski is followed by nine diocesan priests up to the year of 1949.    In 1937 St. Mary’s Church passes officially under the patronage of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church.   In 1946 the first wave of Polish demobilized soldiers arrives in St. Catharines.  In 1949 Archbishop James McGuigan of Toronto Archdiocese charges the Oblate Fathers of Mary Immaculate to undertake the Pastoral ministry of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church.  In 1950 the core Polish membership reaches 70 families.    On January 17, 1951 by decree of His Eminence Cardinal McGuigan, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Community becomes a new independent ethnic Parish.  The same year a sod breaking ceremony blesses the ground for the parish church to be build.   Two priests are involved in building it: Fr.  Władysław Golecki, omi and Fr. Wojciech Golus, omi.   In 1953 the membership of the Parish totals 150 families and is growing dramatically.  In 1954 a beautiful grotto is built.   From 1968 to 1979 the parish reaches 1250 families.  At present time approximately 1000 families are registered. In the 1980s and 1990s, the labor market changed in St. Catharines, with the closure of GM and other related companies, resulting in the shrinking of the parish.  Relentless lack of jobs in St. Catharines and the surrounding vicinity motivated young Poles (our children and grandchildren) to seek employment in remote cities – Toronto, Woodstock, Cambridge, where the labor market developed.  The city of St. Catharines became city of retirees.  although the University draws young people and while studying young people of polish origin attend our church. At the present time approximately 440 families are registered, keeping our church a warm place to pray and celebrate various life occasions. Despite the decrease in the number of parishioners, their religious way of life and Polish awareness are very much alive.

 

Priests that served at St. Mary’s Church (since 1937)

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church Administrators – Pastors
Bolesław Sperski                       1914 – 1919
Ignacy Ostaszewski                   1919 – 1921
Stanisław Jędruszczak              1921 – 1923
Jan Kulczyk                               1923 – 1929
Władysław Gulczyński              1929 – 1931
Karol Mioduszewski                  1931 – 1933
Edward Olszewicz                     1933 – 1935
Emmet Lacey                            1935 – 1937
Jan Dekowski                            1937 – 1949
Priests serving at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church Administrators – Pastors:
Leon Calinski, omi                   1949 – 1949
Władysław Golecki, omi           1949 – 1954
Wojciech Golus, omi                 1954 – 1961
Władysław Panek, omi             1961 – 1965
Piotr Klita, omi                         1965 – 1971
Stanisław Prokop, omi              1971 – 1976
Jan Szkodziński, omi                1976 – 1985
Jakub Szwarc, omi                    1985 – 1994
Ryszard Kosian, omi                 1994 – 2008
Alfred Grzempa, omi                 2008 – 2014
Antoni Degutis, omi                  2014 – 2020
Slawek Oblak,omi                     2020 – 2023
Janusz Jajeśniak, omi              2023 – 2025
Mieczysław Burdzy, omi           2025 – 

 

Pastor at the Present Time: 

Father Mieczysław Burdzy, omi

What we believe:

Please click here to read the catechism of the Catholic Church